Royal Oak Senior or Handicapped Transportation
Need a Ride? Service is available: 9:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Call dispatch number at 248-246-3914 between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., up to two weeks ahead, to schedule your appointment.
If handicapped lift is needed, notify the dispatcher. Call 248-246-3900 for return trip home.
Nine Mile Road to Fifteen Mile Road, between Southfield Road and Stephenson Highway
- $3 suggested contribution for each one-way trip
- $4 suggested contribution for each round trip
We are temporarily eliminating the Meijer and Mall runs.
ALL riders must wear a mask.
Please Read Carefully
Transportation is provided by the City of Royal Oak to promote independence for residents who are aged 60 or better and permanently handicapped adults under the age of 60. This service is available Monday through Friday from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for those traveling within the specified boundaries.
- Passengers must complete a registration card listing an emergency contact person, doctor, and other pertinent information.
- Vehicles are not available on an emergency basis. Call up to two weeks ahead for appointments. A minimum of one day before is required; however, space is not always available with such short notice. Notify the dispatcher if handicapped lift is needed. A maximum of four appointments per week per person are allowed, except shuttles to the Community Centers.
- Drivers provide a door-to-door service. They may assist passengers on and off the vehicles if needed. They may escort you from your door to the bus and return. They are not allowed to enter your home or the destination to which you are traveling. Drivers cannot assist wheelchair passengers up and down stairs. Please do not ask them to do so.
- Be ready at your door for pick-up 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Scheduling times are not exact. Drivers may be early or late depending on the driving conditions and the promptness of all passengers.
- To take advantage of this service, schedule medical appointments no earlier than 9:30 a.m. Ask your doctor's office to call 248-246-3900 for return when your appointment is finished. Appointments must be finished before 3:30 p.m. to assure time for return trip home by our drivers.
- When shopping, remember your pick-up point and be there on time. You are limited to six bags or the equivalent, which the driver may help you with. (Note: In apartments, groceries will be left in the lobby area.)
- If you are in a wheelchair, a permanently disabled or impaired adult, you may travel independently on our vehicles providing the following criteria is met:
A. You can communicate pick-up times and destinations to the driver.
B. You can walk or maneuver without assistance beyond the ground-level entrances of pick-up and destinations.
C. There is minimal possibility of a medical emergency occurring in transit.
If you cannot meet the above, an escort or personal care attendant should accompany and assist you. Please inform the dispatcher of special needs or arrangements (such a handicapped lift or escort) when making your appointment.
Permanently disabled adults under the age of 60 may use this service if you submit a letter from your physician stating the nature of your disability (addressing the criteria above) and stating whether or not an escort is required to accompany you.
This service is funded and operated by the joint efforts of the City of Royal Oak, SMART Municipal and Community Credit funds, and Beaumont Health. Passenger contributions are important and imperative to keeping our transportation program operating!