The Royal Oak Nature Society is a non-profit volunteer organization established to protect, promote, maintain, and make improvements in Royal Oak’s two nature parks, Tenhave Woods and Cummingston Park. We are also in the process of developing the Fred A. Erb Arboretum which is located behind the Royal Oak Senior/Community Center. Listed below are different ways that you can help us.
Patrolling the Parks:This is a good activity for families/friends to do together. It entails:
- Cleaning up litter within the park and along the outside of the fence
- Walking the trails in order to report on any obstacles blocking them
- Walking along the Tenhave fence line in order to report any fence breaches or gaps under it
Park Maintenance/Projects:Volunteers must be high school age or older. This is a good choice for community service. It entails:
- Assisting in the battle to remove invasive species
- Maintaining a path inside part of the Tenhave Woods fence line and repair fence breaches
- Keeping trails clear of encroaching weeds
- Removing fallen trees and branches from the trails and fences
- Lining trails with logs
Contact person is Michelle Watson.