A quality library is part of the foundation for any thriving community. As a Royal Oak resident, you can say with pride that you live in one of the best cities in Michigan with one of the top public libraries in the state.
Will you consider supporting the vital resources we offer our community by making a donation to the library today?
2021 has been a challenging year for everyone. The coronavirus pandemic continued to challenge all of us, requiring new ways of doing everyday things, and that’s also true for the Royal Oak Public Library. Donations from caring individuals like you have helped ensure we continue to offer residents a world-class library system despite the limitations thrust on all of us. While our building was shut down, the library worked to educate all residents on the digital resources we have been continually enhancing over the years with your help. This brought books, movies, music, magazines and more directly to people’s devices, at no cost.
As soon as the state of the pandemic allowed, the library began curbside pick-up, ensuring that community members still had access to all the library materials they have come to rely on. Over 18,000 curbside pick-ups occurred from June 2020-May 2021. Programs shifted online and were able to reach a wider audience than ever before, as more than 7,200 patrons virtually took part in storytimes, educational talks and more for all ages. Our children’s and teen library staff developed programs that included craft supplies to enhance virtual programs. This winter, those opportunities are being shared with adults with our “Get Crafty” series of programs.
Most notably, over the past year and following feedback from the community, the library has undergone renovations and enhancements that make it a brighter, happier, more useful place for all. New carpeting and paint freshened the entirety of the inside of the building. The young adult area was renovated, resulting in brighter, more open space and it, along with other areas of the library, boasts new furniture. A new Makerspace was constructed which will allow for collaborative creativity with a wealth of different tools. On the lower level, the children’s section’s layout was optimized and new lighting was installed, in addition to other renovations.
When you donate to the Royal Oak Public Library, your support stays right here, going to work for residents and helping maintain the city’s status as one of the best places to live in Michigan. Through 2021 contributions of community members have helped the library:
- Reopen to the public and, while closed, provide curbside pick-up 7 days a week.
- Expand our eBook and eAudiobook resources and platforms to provide increased access to our community.
- Increase access to downloadable entertainment such as Kanopy and Hoopla.
- Provide matching funds to help stock our Makerspace, which includes a vinyl to MP3 converter station, a Cricut machine and press, and more!
- Ensure that youth and teens kept learning and growing with an online Summer Reading program.
- Purchase and support Chromebooks and Wi-Fi hotspots available for check out to help those who don’t have the money or ability to purchase their own device.
- Continue building our Library of Things, a collection of household items, including electronics, tools, gardening sets, cake pans, toys, games, STEM kits, and so much more!
- Continue subscribing to Lynda/LinkedIn Learning for patron use, providing skill-building courses for those in need of career support and professional development.
When finances are tight or recreational opportunities are sparse for our fellow community members, they rely on the library. Your donation levels the playing field, making the materials that help us learn and grow – that enhance our lives – accessible to those of all backgrounds, ages, needs and abilities, even during a pandemic. And your donation is more important now than ever.
Please consider donating to the Royal Oak Public Library to help expand and improve our offerings for the community! You can make a convenient, secure online donation at ropl.org/donate, or send a check directly to the library at:
Royal Oak Public Library
222 E. Eleven Mile Rd.
Royal Oak, MI 48067.
Royal Oak Public Library Board of Trustees, President
P.S. Did you know that $25 will purchase two children’s books and that $100 will purchase five adult books or a program presented by staff for the library? Thanks for your support!