In an effort to increase computer access within our community we are offering Google Chromebooks for public use. Chromebooks are fast, lightweight computers that run apps instead of traditional software. A Wi-Fi connection is required to log in. Patrons checking out Chromebooks may also check out a library Wi-Fi HotSpot. Sign in as an ROPL Guest to use the internet or to create and share documents, edit photos, listen to music and much more using Chrome apps. Once you log out and/or shutdown, none of your personal data can be accessed by other users and will be completely erased. Anything you don’t save somewhere else will be deleted when you log out.
Loan and Use Policy
- Patrons must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid library card that is not blocked in order to check out a Chromebook.
- Chromebooks may be checked out for 14 days with no renewals. Local holds only.
- Only one computer can be checked out per person.
- Chromebooks connect to the internet over an open wireless network. Users should exercise caution when transmitting sensitive information over an unsecure network without encryption.
- Patrons may not alter or reconfigure the library’s hardware or software in any way.
- Patrons will be accountable for any malicious or illegal use of the internet.
- The library is not responsible for any damage to the user’s removable disks/drives or loss of data that may occur due to malfunctioning library hardware and/or software.
- Please keep the Chromebook with you at all times. All borrowers assume full financial responsibility for the cost of repair or replacement due to accidental damage, theft, or misuse. The replacement fee for a lost, stolen, or damaged Chromebook is $250.00.
- Overdue Chromebooks will be deactivated within 24 hours of the due date.
- NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS: Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the ROPL Chromebook. Parents/Guardians are responsible for monitoring what their children access via the ROPL Chromebook.
For more information see our ROPL Chromebook FAQ.