Contaminated Food Items
Foods that are contaminated can make you and your family sick. They should be dealt with in the following manner:
- Destroy and discard all contaminated bottle and boxed foods.
- Canned goods (including home canned jars) may be kept if cleaned thoroughly.
- To clean containers:
- Scrub with soap and water. (Use a brush around the rim of home canned jars).
- Submerge in chlorinated water for 15 minutes (1 ounce of bleach per gallon of water).
- Throw out anything with an unusual color, odor or if a perishable food is above 45 Fahrenheit internally.
- Place discarded food in a tightly closed container until pick up or disposal.
After handling contaminated material make sure that all clothing and body parts that came into contact with flood waters and/or sewage are thoroughly washed. Be sure to wash hands immediately.