Cross Connection Control Residential Program

Protecting Our Public Water System 

One of the most serious public health threats to a drinking water supply system is something called a cross connection. 

What's A Cross Connection?

A cross connection is an arrangement of piping that could allow undesirable water, sewage, or chemical solutions to enter your drinking (potable) water system as a result of back flow. Cross connections with potable piping systems have resulted in numerous cases of illness and even death.

Cross Connection Control & The Law

Due to a State mandate – as part of compliance with Public Act 399, Part 14A – a residential cross connection control program has been implemented by the City of Royal. 

Cross Connection Control Program FAQs

What Will This Program Mean To Me As A Resident?

Every residential property will have an inspection of the water sources on the EXTERIOR of their home.  The City has contracted with HydroCorp of Troy. The entire inspection process to complete all residential properties in the City will take five years.  This process will be repeated every ten years.

Is This Inspection Mandatory? 

Yes. These inspections are conducted in order to ensure compliance with State regulations to maintain the safety of our drinking water. HydroCorp is a contractor for the City, who by ordinance, has the authority to come onto private property to inspect all water sources.

How Will I Know When My Home Will Be Inspected By HydroCorp Inspectors?  

You will receive a letter from HydroCorp (on City of Royal Oak letterhead) approximately two-weeks prior to the inspection period for your neighborhood.  HydroCorp inspectors will post a “sandwich” board sign in front of their vehicles notifying homeowners they are in the neighborhood doing inspections.  HydroCorp inspectors will always carry corporate identification, have brightly colored vests over their outerwear with the HydroCorp and/or City logo.  

HydroCorp inspectors will NEVER enter or request to enter your home. Please do not let anyone into your home, if you are concerned please call Police non-emergency at (248) 246-3500.

What Will HydroCorp Inspectors Be Looking For On The Exterior Of My Home & How Long Will The Inspection Take?

HydroCorp inspectors are looking at the outside water sources of your home, which include water spigots (also referred to as a water hose bibb) and sprinkler or lawn irrigation systems.  Pools and hot tubs in most instances will be part of a hose system on your spigot, but if not, they will be inspected too.  Inspectors are looking to ensure all of your outside water sources have properly working backflow prevention systems. 

The entire inspection is expected to last approximately 5 minutes.

Do I Have To Be Present For The Inspection?

No. HydroCorp will NOT enter your home; however they will need access to your front and backyard. If your property is locked HydroCorp will send a letter or leave a door tag asking for access. If you have a pet an inspector will knock on the door to ask to have access to your yard by removing your pet. If you are not home the inspector will either leave a door tag or send a letter.

Why Is It Important For My Outside Water Sources To Have A Backflow Prevention System?

The device ensures fertilizers, pesticides, animal waste and other harmful substances do not get “sucked” back into the drinking water supply in your home. 

How Will I Know The Results Of My Inspection?

HydroCorp inspectors will leave a door tag at your home.  It will give the results of your inspection, which may include:

  • You are in full compliance and require no further action.
  • The backflow prevention system is missing a vacuum breaker - one will be left for you to install – with instructions on completing the approval process online.
  • Corrections are needed. The most common correction is a backflow prevention system that must be installed to your sprinkler/lawn irrigation system or other devices, which will require a properly licensed plumbing contractor to complete and certify the work. 

What Can I Do Prior To The Inspection To Bring My Home Into Compliance?

If you have not already installed a backflow prevention system, you can do this before the inspection.  It is recommended in Michigan that you install an “anti-frost” vacuum breaker on your backflow prevention system to keep ice from forming and damaging your system. Costs for this range from $5 to $15.